What is Cardiac Screening?
Cardiac health screening is a diagnostic test or group of tests performed to detect potential heart problems or risk factors for heart disease. The goal of cardiac screening is to identify heart conditions early, so that appropriate treatment can be started before the condition worsens.
There are several types of cardiac health screening tests, including:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): A test that records the electrical activity of the heart to detect heart rhythm problems and damage to the heart muscle.
- Echocardiogram: An ultrasound test that uses sound waves to create images of the heart to evaluate its size, shape, and function.
- Stress test: A test that assesses the heart’s ability to respond to physical stress, typically by exercising on a treadmill or stationary bike, while being monitored with an ECG.
- Blood tests: Tests that measure levels of certain substances in the blood, such as cholesterol, to assess the risk of heart disease.
- Coronary calcium scan: A type of X-ray test that uses special dye and X-rays to detect calcium deposits in the coronary arteries, which can indicate the presence of plaque buildup that can lead to heart disease.
- Cardiac CT scan: A test that uses X-rays and computer technology to produce detailed images of the heart and blood vessels.
- Cardiac MRI: A test that uses magnetic fields and radio waves to create detailed images of the heart and blood vessels.
Cardiac screening is typically recommended for people who have heart disease risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, or a family history of heart disease. It is also recommended for people who are experiencing symptoms suggestive of heart problems, such as chest pain or shortness of breath.
It’s important to note that cardiac screening is just one tool used to diagnose heart problems and should not be used as the sole basis for a diagnosis. The results of cardiac screening tests should be interpreted along with other medical information, such as a patient’s medical history and physical examination, to reach a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan.
Blessono Health Screening specializes in cardiac screenings. They offer ECG, echocardiogram, stress tests with a comfortable and minimal waiting time by appointment. All screenings are performed by our experienced cardiac sonographer.